Tuesday, August 25, 2009

French Toast Souffle



I know this is a very unpopular opinion among many people but I really like Rachel Ray. Once I was watching her and someone asked her what her guilty food pleasure was and she said she doesn't associate guilt with food. I have to say I very much agree with this. Sure, some foods aren't healthy and aren't to be eaten daily. Or even weekly, monthly, etc. But everything in moderation, right? BUT (and there's always a but) if I was going to feel some form of guilt this would definitely be a guilty pleasure food. Just read the ingredients list! They are all delicious, decadent, calorie-ridden, ingredients. Of course with this list of ingredients the results are heavenly! In my defense I did cut out a couple eggs and a 1/2 cup of cream... I figure every bit helps!

I did not have the pleasure of tasting this recipe because I made it for John's work meeting. However, John received 8 emails praising this thing up and down. One of his coworkers even Twittered that I was a genius. Therefore I am led to believe this is a hugely successful meal! It's so easy to make, taking about 15 minutes to prep, and then just bakes away in the oven. Definitely try this if you need a breakfast dish for a brunch!

Source: Adapted from Real Mom Kitchen



8oz cream cheese softened
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup maple syrup
1 1oaf of Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl Bread
10 eggs
1.5 cups half/half
1 tsp vanilla

Optional:
Powdered sugar
Fresh fruit

Microwave the cream cheese, butter, and syrup for 30 seconds and beat until smooth.

Break the bread into 1 ½ inch pieces and put in a 9 by 11 inch baking pan. Pour cream cheese mixture over the top of the bread.

Beat eggs, cream, and vanilla together until frothy, pour over cinnamon bread in pan.

Bake at 350 for 60 minutes.

Dust with powder sugar, fruit, or syrup. Serve hot.

5 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be the death of me. I am sure of it. I LOVE french toast! Not like a little, like obsessed, could eat it every day LOVE! I will be trying this as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anyway to make this ahead of time and freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine-
    I'd think you could. I'd make it and cook it almost all the way. Then just defrost and bake... my fear would be it drying out.

    ReplyDelete