Monday, September 5, 2011

Roasted Vegetable Stromboli


My favorite way to prepare veggies is to roast them. I feel like it brings out the flavors without compromising the consistency. Sometimes steamed veggies can get... mushy? I guess that's the best way to put it! Roasting them just lends itself to the perfect consistency and flavor.

A few weeks ago I roasted a big pan of vegetables and threw them all in a bowl to use for meals throughout the week. I'm so glad I did this because it made dinner so easy! I just had to grab my roasted veggie bowl and spoon out the desired amount for each recipe. I'll be sharing the other recipe with you soon so you can see a practical use for your pan of vegetables (that is, if you don't want to just eat them as-is!)

This stromboli was amazing. John told me it needs to be repeated frequently. It's kind of fun, I can see it being a hit with kids, and it's a little different from what I typically serve for dinner. I coasted the crust with an oil and seasoning mix that really took this to the next level. I loved the crisp top and the soft vegetables... ugh... now I want this again soon!

Source: Stephanie Cooks Original

Ingredients:
2 cups roasted vegetables* (see below for details)
1 batch pizza dough
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Tomato sauce

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 450 with a pizza stone in the oven (if you don't have one just cook it on a baking sheet).
2- Roll out your pizza dough into a long rectangular/oval shape.
3- Using a pizza cutter, start on the right side of the dough and slice 1/3 of the way in, making 1 inch slits down the side. Keep going until the whole side is covered in 1 inch slits. Repeat on the left hand side, also 1/3 of the way in.
4- Spoon the vegetable onto the 1/3 of the dough in the center. Top with the cheese.
5- Start at the top, take one slit from the right and fold it over the center. Repeat with the dough slit directly opposite. Keep repeating until the dough is "braided" and covering the filling.
6- In a small bowl combine the oil, salt, and garlic powder. Brush over the dough.
7- Transfer to the stone. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
8- Slice and serve with hot marinara sauce.

* Roasting veggies- I used 2 zucchini, 1/2 a head of broccoli, a handful of baby carrots, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, and a green pepper. I diced them, drizzled with olive oil, and cooked about 30-40 minutes, stirring halfway through, at 375. For this recipe I smashed the tomatoes so they were flat, but that step isn't necessary. Use any veggies you want. This yielded a lot of veggies, enough for two meals.

11 comments:

  1. Delicious! The top of the stromboli look so fancy:) Great recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stromboli is picture perfect! I'm a huge fan of roasted veggies and I know that my family would love this. I'm pinning it to try soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy. I'll make a pan of veggies today, stromboli tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - My veggies are in the oven and I needed two dishes! I added some eggplant, red pepper and summer squash and now have too many veggies. Do you know if I can freeze roasted veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. de'amor- I'm not sure- you can certainly try. The texture may be affected though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you make your own pizza dough or did you use a mix from the store? This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betty- I used store bought pizza dough. Not a mix or anything, the actual already made dough (they sell it in a ball by me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this recipe. I was looking for a veggie Stromboli recipe when I happened upon this one. I have a great pizza crust recipe that I use, and I shaped and formed it like yours with the cuts. They were beautiful - delicious and presented so well. I gave one as a gift to a new Mom. Thanks for sharing this delight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a Vegetarian Style Stromboli at an Italian Restaurant recently and they were too watery which made the bread soggy. Are yours watery too? Is there a way to avoid it if I decide to make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine wasn't at all watery! I think there's a few ways to avoid it. First, make sure the veggies aren't wet when you put them in- you can pat them dry. Also, make sure you cook it on a hot preheated pizza stone so it sears the bottom crisp.

      Delete