Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lighter Creamy Garlic Pasta


Every now and then I stumble upon a picture of a recipe and it haunts me. I can't stop thinking about how much I want to make it (and eat it). The most recent recipe that taunted me was this recipe for creamy garlic pasta. I dare you to go look at this picture and tell me you don't want to make it. The first issue that held me back was Landon's dairy allergy. I was dairy free when I found it and this recipe calls for a whole lotta cheese... so there goes that. Then I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat all the cream/butter/cheese this recipe called for once it was allowed in my life. So I decided to lighten it up and see if it was still as appealing. I think based on the picture above you can tell it was still deliciously creamy, minus all of the cream. It doesn't get better than that! It kind of reminded me on a homemade, much more delicious, version of Pasta Roni which I used to love back in my pre-cooking days!

Source: Heavily adapted from The Cheese Pusher

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup 1% milk
1/2 pound angel hair
1 cup freshly grated pecorino romano or parmesan
1 tsp dried parsley

Directions:
1- Heat the oil, garlic, and butter in a large pot. Stir frequently. After 1-2 minutes add the salt, pepper, chicken broth, and milk.
2- Bring the broth to a boil. Add the angel hair and allow it to cook according to packaging directions. Then add the cheese, stirring well. Remove from the heat, stir in the parsley. Serve immediately.

10 comments:

  1. just needs one thing to improve it....

    BACON! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right! Bacon would make this better!

      Delete
    2. bacon makes everything better :)

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to tell you that I pinned this to Pinterest so I wouldnt forget about it (maybe I'll make it this weekend) and in like 6 minutes it got over 50 repins! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! This recipe is awesome and so easy. I added grilled chicken and frozen peas. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this tonight (love the pasta roni sides which is what turned me on when I saw the picture), and I bought chicken & frozen peas for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like comfort on a plate! And I love that you lightened it up. I can't wait to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great recipe! Thank you for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recipe! Thank you for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete